Harar CHAMPS Catchment Area

Submitted by bjibendi on Sun, 02/21/2021 - 09:13
Population distribution of Harar, 2013.

The Harar CHAMPS catchment is attached to the Harar Urban HDSS, which was established in 6 sub-districts among 19 urban sub-districts of in the city of Harar, Harari People National Regional State, Ethiopia in July 2011. Later addition six Kebeles were added in 2015 to make the total catchment Kebeles to be 12. A baseline population and housing census that covered the selected six kebeles was conducted in September 2012, and follow up of the demographic and health related events started soon after the census. The total population of Harar urban DSS site at the baseline was 32,437 residents. Of these, 15,579(48%) were males, and the remaining 16,858(52%) were females. Women of child bearing age account for 10,069 (31%) of the total population. The finding indicates an overall sex ratio of 92.4% males per 100 females.  In general, the age structure of the Harar urban DSS population indicates the presence of high dependency ratio (the ratio between non-working and working population) (49.1%).  Almost half (50%) of the population in Harar urban DSS were dependent over the working group (aged 15-64 years). In the meantime, young population dependency ratio was 0.46, and old dependency ratio was 0.07. The Total Fertility Rate ranges from 1.29 to 3.49. Neonatal, post neonatal, infant and under five mortality rates were observed below 10 per 1000 population.

Population of Harar Catchment Area

Year

Male

Female

Total

Under5Age

Birth

Death

Females

(15-49)

2012

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2013

 14,835

 16,225

 31,060

 2,981

633

149

 18,299

2014

 15,004

 16,531

 31,536

 3,067

577

148

 18,506

2015

 20,487

 22,740

 43,228

 4,301

784

213

 25,146

2016

 27,848

 30,815

 58,664

 5,718

934

259

 33,794

2017

 27,468

 30,427

 57,896

 5,325

871

307

 33,299

2018

 27,350

 30,228

 57,579

 5,170

837

275

 33,241

2019

 27,493

 30,455

 57,948

 5,000

665

308

 33,958

 

Pictures 1-4 depicting Harar’s cultural heritages and tourist attractions

a.	The main gate known as ‘Duk ber’ is one of the five gates which leads to the walled city ‘Harar Jugol’.
The main gate known as ‘Duk ber’ is one of the five gates which leads to the walled city ‘Harar Jugol’.
A tourist attraction site where a tourist is feeding friendly hyenas.
A tourist attraction site where a tourist is feeding friendly hyenas.
b.	Typical interior of a cultural Harari guest house found inside Harar Jugol.
Typical interior of a cultural Harari guest house found inside Harar Jugol.
Refurbished 100 years old mansion locally known as ‘Rambo’s house’ and it is said a renowned French poet Arthur Rimbaud once lived inside this house.
Refurbished 100 years old mansion locally known as ‘Rambo’s house’ and it is said a renowned French poet Arthur Rimbaud once lived inside this house.